[llvm-dev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 09:38:54 PDT 2015

On 08/26/2015 09:27 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 26 August 2015 at 17:21, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (oh, and add long cycle times to the list of issues - people do have a
>> tendency to ignore bots that come back with giant blame lists & no obvious
>> determination as to who's patch caused the problem, if any)
> Yes, but remember, not all hardware is as fast as a multi-core Xeon
> server. Build times can't always be controlled.
No, but there are many known partial solutions.  We can explore some of
them if build time is the only issue.

Some options (I don't know which if any have already been explored)
- Kick off builds on slow bots at revisions which have passed a fast bot
- Overlap builds on different pieces of hardware so that revision ranges
are smaller (i.e. "that change was in the previous build and didn't
fail, so it can't be that")
- Build incrementally with occasional clean builds at already known good
revisions (or for failure recovery)
- Separate build and test.  Cross build on a faster machine then
transfer the binaries to a slower test machine.  Run only a build on the
slow machine.  (i.e. decrease latency of build+test to latency of build
OR test)
- Consider using an emulator on a faster machine to get initial
results.  Only kick off builds on hardware for changes that pass the
emulator.  (This is a particular variant of (1) above.)