[llvm-dev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 07:44:18 PDT 2015

On 08/26/2015 04:38 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 26 August 2015 at 15:32, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:
>> What's the problem with increasing the timeout? Asking people to ignore
>> buildbot mails does not seem right. If the buildbot is flaky I believe
>> the buildbot owner should ensure it shuts up until the problems have
>> been resolved and the buildbot has a low false positive rate again.
>
> That's the point I make about solving the real issue, not increase the timeout.
>
> CMake + Ninja has fixed virtually all our flakiness on all other ARM
> bots, so I think we should give it a try first.

What time-line do you have in mind for this fix? If you are in charge
and can make this happen within a day, giving cmake + ninja a chance seems
OK.

However, if the owner of the buildbot is not known or the fix can not come
soon, I am in favor of disabling the noise and (re)enabling it when someone
found time to address the problem and verify the solution. The cost of
buildbot noise is very high, both in terms of developer time spent, but
more importantly due to people starting to ignore them when monitoring them
becomes costly.

Best,
Tobias