[llvm-dev] GPL Software

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 25 14:56:44 PDT 2015

On 25 August 2015 at 20:59, jacob navia <jacob at jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
> 1) Do not read the DWARF docs. They give you a general idea but nobody
> follows it.

It's fun to understand Dwarf, but you can't use it to solve Dwarf problems.

> 2) Do not try to *understand* anything. It is hopeless and you will just
> lose your time.

Well, you ended up understanding a lot more than you thought you would. :)

> 3) Try to generate EXACTLY what llvm is generating.

Unfortunately, that *is* the pragmatic way...

> a return statement. Nothing more. It is decoy to avoid giving you a linker
> error.

I hate when people do that... :/

> Then  I was TRULY desperate and asked Apple. That worked. The friendly
> people at the Apple groups told me to look into the code of the dynamic
> loader that does exactly what I was trying to do OF COURSE!

Going to the right forum gets you the best answers. At least they
relate to your problems a lot closer than a lot of LLVM folks.

> Now, the throw of the C++ code below my JIT code is catched by the C++ code
> above.

Victory! But the best part is that, now, you understand all of this!

I have debugged EH problems in the past, but never through JIT. I know
a guy who had to and had similar pains.

The problem with exception handling is that it's so complicated that
whenever you find the solution you're at the edge of sanity, and you
don't want to hear about it for the rest of your life, let alone
*document* everything you've been through!

And that's how we get to...

> "DOCUMENT THIS!"

cheers,
--renato