[llvm-dev] GPL Software

Keno Fischer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 25 05:57:31 PDT 2015

FWIW, the right answer is to use __register_frame (there is some more
details in RTDyldMemoryManager.cpp and it has been discussed on this list
before). I am sorry that I didn't see your email email the first time, but
you cannot expect volunteers in an open source community to guarantee you
an answer. I have sent many questions to this list and others and have been
very grateful for the many answers I have received. However, there have
also been many occasions when I didn't. Blaming the people on the list who
volunteer their time is not the right answer to that. Instead you could
have updated the original thread with your findings such that people
looking for this in the future may have been able to find this faster. A
lot of this low-level knowledge is only available in the form of email
threads and the most frustrating are the ones that have a question but no
answer. Also, your original email didn't have much to do with LLVM. Are you
using LLVM to achieve this? If you had mentioned how you were using LLVM
people might have pointed you in the right direction, since LLVM (at least
MCJIT) does take care of this automatically.

While I'm here let me provide a pointer that might be helpful if you're
still looking. Apple's implementation of libunwind is opensource, so we can
see the implementation of __register_frame_info at
http://opensource.apple.com/source/libunwind/libunwind-35.3/src/UnwindLevel1-gcc-ext.c
and indeed we see that it's a no-op. However, just a few lines before we do
see the __register_frame function which isn't