[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #86, Aug 24th 2015
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 24 02:44:27 PDT 2015
LLVM Weekly - #86, Aug 24th 2015
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the eighty-sixth issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly newsletter
(published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and related
projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](http://asbradbury.org). Subscribe to future issues at
<http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may be
interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
## News and articles from around the web
The LLVM Foundation [has been granted 501(c)(3) non-profit
This means contributions are tax-deductible for US tax payers.
LLVM 3.7-rc3 [has been
This is the final release candidate and 3.7.0 final is expected very shortly.
The paper [Fast and Precise Symbolic Analysis of Concurrency Bugs in Device
Drivers](http://soarlab.org/2015/08/ase2015-ddr/) makes use of Clang and LLVM
as part of its verification flow.
Good news everyone! The deadline for submissions for the 2015 LLVM Developers'
meeting has been
to August the 25th.
## On the mailing lists
* Edward Jones and Simon Cook at Embecosm have been developing an [LLVM
backend for AAP](https://github.com/embecosm/aap-llvm), a 16-bit architecture
which aims to be representative of common deeply embedded microprocessors.
They're [looking for
upstreaming it. The architecture reference can be found
* Alex Lorenz has shared an [update on the status of Machine IR
There's also the beginnings of a [reference
manual](http://llvm.org/docs/MIRLangRef.html) for it, which covers the syntax
and how to use it in tests.
* 'deadal nix' has posted an RFC on supporting [load and store for large
The author gives more detail
* Lang Hames proposes [two changes to the llvm.memcpy and llvm.memmove
It seems that based on feedback, the plans is to [add alignment information
* Evgenii Stepanav has an [RFC on a minor fix to codegen for AlwaysInline
Right now, if an alwaysinline function is only called from dead code it may
not be inlined.
* Rong Xu has shared some [interesting
his investigations regarding front-end vs middle-end instrumentation of
* Renato Golin [raises concerns about the introduction of 'hacks' in to
this particular instance, it's a patch for TheadSanitizer on AArch64 Android.
He elaborated on his concerns
## LLVM commits
* TransformUtils gained the module splitter, which splits a module into
linkable partitions and is intended to be used for parallel LTO code
* MergeFunctions is now closer to being deterministic.
* ScalarEvolution has been ported to the new pass manager.
* The 'kaleidoscope' tutorials on creating a language backend using LLVM are
now partially updated to use C++11 features and idioms.
* The peephole optimiser learned to look through PHIs to find additional
register sources. [r245479](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL245479).
## Clang commits
* The ObjCGenericsChecker will catch type errors related to lightweight
generics in Objective-C. [r245646](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL245646).
## Other project commits
* compiler-rt has gained implementations of some of the missing ARM EABI
runtime functions. [r245648](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL245648).
* libcxx gained a whole bunch of Sphinx-based documentation.
More information about the llvm-dev