[llvm-dev] Scaling to many basic blocks

Russell Wallace via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 22 15:03:23 PDT 2015

How well does LLVM scale to many basic blocks? Let's say you have a single
function consisting of a million basic blocks each with a few tens of
instructions (and assuming the whole thing isn't trivially repetitive so
the number of simultaneously live variables and whatever is large) and you
feed that through the optimisers into the backend code generator, will this
work okay, or will it take a very long time, or will it run into a scenario
of 'look, all compilers are designed on the assumption that nobody is going
to write a million lines of code in a single function'? (Not that I'm
planning to do so by hand either, I'm just thinking about certain scenarios
in automatic code generation.)