[llvm-dev] loop unrolling introduces conditional branch

Xiangyang Guo via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 21 20:27:52 PDT 2015

Hi,

I just tried llvm-3.8 (LLVM SVN Repository). With this version, -fno-rtti
can help me to compile my code and -irce can help me to do a better job for
loop unrolling. However, I still have one question. If I use Clang to
compile a piece of c++ code to .bc and then use 'opt -loop-rotate
-loop-unroll -irce', I can get what I want. I mean, there is no conditional
branch at the end of each unrolled part. However, If I use LLVM API such as
IRBuilder (CreateAdd, CreateGEP, CreateLoad and so on) to generate the .bc
(I dump the two .bc files and they looks like almost same except the
variable name), then 'opt -loop-rotate -loop-unroll -irce'I cannot get what
I want. I mean, in this case, there is still loop boundary checking (add,
compare, conditional branch) at the end of each unrolled part.

I'm really confused about this. Does Clang do something special? Or do I
need to do something else to eliminate the unnecessary loop boundary
checking at the end of each unrolled part?

Thanks for your help.

Xiangyang

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Xiangyang Guo <xguo6 at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I tried -fno-rtti yesterday and no luck.
>
> Regards,
>
> Xiangyang
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Jeremy Lakeman <Jeremy.Lakeman at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> There's been some recent noise on the mailing list about requiring
>> -fno-rtti;
>> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2015-August/089010.html
>>
>> Could that be it?
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM, Xiangyang Guo via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, James and Philip, Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Based on your advice, I downloaded llvm-3.7. However, with this new
>>> version of LLVM, I have the following errors when I compile my previous
>>> code:
>>>
>>> g++ -o parser main.o  `llvm-config --libs all` `llvm-config --ldflags
>>> --system-libs` -lpthread -ldl -rdynamic -ltinfo
>>> main.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTIN4llvm17GetElementPtrInstE[_ZTIN4llvm17GetElementPtrInstE]+0x10):
>>> undefined reference to `typeinfo for llvm::Instruction'
>>> main.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTIN4llvm8ICmpInstE[_ZTIN4llvm8ICmpInstE]+0x10):
>>> undefined reference to `typeinfo for llvm::CmpInst'
>>>
>>> BTW, in my code, I use LLVM API (IRBuilder and so on) to generate one
>>> Module and then use PassManager to add several passes. And my Makefile is
>>> pretty simple, it looks like this:

>>> all: parser
>>>
>>> OBJS = main.o    \
>>>
>>> LLVMCONFIG = llvm-config
>>> CPPFLAGS = `$(LLVMCONFIG) --cxxflags` -std=c++11