[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] Updated RFC: ThinLTO Implementation Plan

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 21 09:53:59 PDT 2015

Mehdi, ThinLTO is capable of doing any summary based whole program analysis
(no transformation)  as mentioned in the original document.  Depending on
the analysis overhead, it can either be turned on by default or with
additional option.

The example you mentioned is a trivial one -- global const var analysis.
Using linker feedback, the plugin should be able to detect 'i' is never
modified, and such result can be saved in the combined summary file.

In later phase3 stage, the simplifier can use the summary data to simplify
references to those read only globals.

David