[llvm-dev] Would a spreadsheet be a good project using LLVM?

Jason Glazer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 21 06:23:46 PDT 2015

I am thinking about writing a new open source spreadsheet
application since I think the spreadsheet applications out
there (Microsoft Excel, LibreOffice Calc, etc.) do not have
some features that I would really like to use. I would like
the spreadsheet to recalculate very fast and wondered if it
would make sense to use LLVM to calculate the cell values
quickly. Each cell of a spreadsheet contains an expression,
much like an expression in any programming language. The big
difference is that the ordering of the expression
evaluations is governed by the dependencies of each cell on
other cells and end up being turned into a directed acyclic
graph (DAG). It would be good if the actual conversion of
cell expressions from strings that the user enters into a
cell, would be converted into a representation that can be
recalculated very quickly. I was thinking that LLVM machine
code might be a good target.

Overall, is this a good project to use LLVM?

Is there existing open source code for compiling expressions
using LLVM that you would recommend for this project?

Any suggestions or concerns about this approach?

Is anyone interested in helping out?

Thanks

Jason

--
Jason Glazer, P.E., GARD Analytics, 90.1 ECB chair