[llvm-dev] RFC for a design change in LoopStrengthReduce / ScalarEvolution

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 17 15:59:05 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sanjoy Das" <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>

Of course, and the point is that, for example, on x86_64, the zext here is free. I'm still trying to understand the problem...

In the example you provided in your previous e-mail, we choose the solution:

  `GEP @Global, zext(V)` -> `GEP (@Global + zext VStart), {i64 0,+,1}`
  `V` -> `trunc({i64 0,+,1}) + VStart`

instead of the actually-better solution:

  `GEP @Global, zext(V)` -> `GEP @Global, zext({VStart,+,1})`
  `V` -> `{VStart,+,1}`

where LSR never considers the latter case because it transforms:

  `zext({VStart,+,1})` to `{zext VStart,+,1}`

and, thus, never considers the formula with zext on the outside? Your proposed solution is that LSR should be able to create:

  zext(opaque({VStart,+,1}))

forcing it to keep all extensions as the outermost operators. Is that right? Will this interfere with SCEV's ability to prove wrapping properties of those expressions? If so, does that matter?

> This looked like a fairly straightforward LSR problem to me,
> especially because SCEV already has all the smarts to infer the
> required properties.  The only thing missing the right framing of the
> problem (i.e. framing it in a way such that we can implement a
> maintainable solution).

Sure, but fixing LSR by creating a local-handicapping mechanism for SCEV seems somehow unfortunate. Are we going to oscillate from picking from one part of the solution space to picking from a different part, without particular regard for which might be better?

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist