[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: ThinLTO File Format

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 13 07:49:23 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I updated the patches to remove the native object wrapper format. As
suggested we will work on getting the ThinLTO framework in place using
bitcode first, and then work on adding the native object support. As noted
in this RFC and in the associated patch D11722, for now I have empty
ThinLTO blocks with no records, since I wanted to get feedback on the
overall block design first. The RFC discusses this in more detail, but one
of the main ideas is to leverage the existing value symbol table block in
the module to avoid duplicating function symbol strings, e.g.

I also wanted to call out another important design consideration here,
since it is buried in the other RFC (ThinLTO File API and Data Structures),
and has a big influence on the way I have designed the ThinLTO index and
object file data structures. The ThinLTO index is read in compile/link
steps when the rest of the Module IR is not, and vice versa. That is why I
have separate data structures for reading/holding the ThinLTO index. The
ThinLTO index in the module (generated during the initial -c compile step)
is needed by other modules during the later parallel backend compile phase,
and therefore it is only used in the linker plugin step to create the
combined index file. The rest of the Module IR is not read during this step
(eventually we may look at adding heavier weight whole program analysis
under an option, but by default the Module, Functions, etc are not read or
materialized). When the normal Module IR is read during the parallel
backend compile step, the ThinLTO information in its own module is not
read, as the importing pass will read the combined (global) index file
instead. This is because a module is only interested in the ThinLTO index
from other modules that it is considering importing from.

Right now I have 5 outstanding patches to put in the basic
infrastructure/options for reading/writing the ThinLTO function indices:

D11721 [ThinLTO] Data structures for holding ThinLTO function index/summary
<http://reviews.llvm.org/D11721>
D11722 [ThinLTO] Bitcode reading/writing support for ThinLTO function
summary/index <http://reviews.llvm.org/D11722>
D11723 [ThinLTO] ThinLTO object file interfaces
<http://reviews.llvm.org/D11723>
D11907 LLVM support for -fthinlto option. <http://reviews.llvm.org/D11907>
D11908 Clang support for -fthinlto. <http://reviews.llvm.org/D11908>

Once the basic options support, data structs, and bitcode support goes in I
can send patches for generating/emitting the function index and the
combined function index (off by defaut, guarded by the -fthinlto option),
and subsequently send patches for the function importing during the backend
compile step. I've tried to break down the above infrastructure into small
pieces for review, and plan to implement the rest via incremental patches.

Hope this clarifies the approach I'm taking! Looking forward to additional
feedback on the approach and the patches.

Thanks,
Teresa