[llvm-dev] SmallString + raw_svector_ostream combination should be more efficient

Yaron Keren via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 11 22:53:43 PDT 2015

+llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org

The impact should be small as all the other streamers usually write
directly to the memory buffer and only when out of buffer they call write().

OTOH, raw_svector_ostream (without a buffer) goes though write for every
character or block it writes. It can work without virtual write() by
overriding the existing virtual write_impl() but this is a slower code path
for raw_svector_ostream.

Even though the attached raw_svector_ostream patch without virtual write()
is still significantly faster then the current raw_svector_ostream since it
avoids the double buffering. With this patch, on my system the example runs
at 750ms compared with about 1000ms for the current raw_svector_ostream.

Would you prefer to continue review on Phabricator?