[llvm-dev] RFC: Add "operand bundles" to calls and invokes

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 10 22:10:20 PDT 2015

> This seems pretty useful, generic, call-site annotation mechanism.  I
> believe that this has immediate application outside of the context of GC.

As supporting evidence, let me say that we're not using this for GC
either :).  We will use to support deoptimization [1][2] [3].  We will
continue to support precise relocating garbage collection using
statepoints.

I can go into some detail on how we plan to use this for
deoptimization if you're interested; I left out most of deopt specific
bits to avoid cluttering up the main proposal.

[1]: http://www.philipreames.com/Blog/2015/05/20/deoptimization-terminology/
[2]: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/whitepaper-135217.html#dynamic
[3]: https://blog.indutny.com/a.deoptimize-me-not

-- Sanjoy