[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Callee speedup estimation in inline cost analysis

Easwaran Raman eraman at google.com
Wed Aug 5 15:08:34 PDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]
from the analyzeCall method once the maximum possible threshold  (the
threshold if all bonuses are to be applied) is reached.  This change will
increase the maximum possible threshold and hence you end up processing
more. AFAICT, the cost is linear on the number of instructions in the
callee per callsite.

> The estimated
> > speedup is
> >
> > Speedup(F, C) = (DI(F) - InlinedDI(F, C)) / DI(F)
> >

> > Speedup above a pre-determined threshold implies there is an expected
> > benefit in inlining the callee F and hence a bonus may be applied to
> > the associated threshold at that callsite.
> >

> > Details
> > ----------
> > This proposal is dependent on the new pass manager that would allow
> > inline cost analysis to see function level analysis passes. The
> > outlined function dynamic instruction count can be provided by an
> > analysis pass. This dynamic instruction count and the block
> > frequency can be either updated (preferable, imo) or recomputed
> > after each inlining.
> >

> > I prototyped a version of this (the prototype augments the BasicBlock
> > and Function classes to store the block frequency and function
> > execution times) and did some initial evaluation with clang and some
> > internal benchmarks used at Google. Implementing it as described
> > above resulted in a large size growth when the parameters are chosen
> > to deliver performance improvement. Some ways to control size growth
> > include applying the heuristic only for hot callsites, only for
> > inline functions, and measuring the speedup using both caller and
> > callee time (instead of just the latter). In any case, without
> > profile feedback it is very likely that there is going to be a size
> > increase when this heuristic is triggered on cold modules. With
> > profile feedback, the absolute count of the callsite can be used to
> > limit this to only hot callsites.
> >

> > Alternative approach
> > --------------------------
> > An alternative approach is to set the thresholds proportional to the
> > estimated speedup, instead of just having a low and high thresholds
> > (for callees whose estimated speedup is below and above the cutoff,
> > respectively). In my opinion such an approach adds complexity in
> > performance debugging and tuning. My guess is this is not going to
> > bring significant additional improvement over a well-tuned simple
> > approach, but perhaps worth exploring later.
> >

> > Preliminary Results
> > ---------------------------
> > With the caveat that the prototype implementation is not well
> > validated and very little tuning has been done, I have some
> > preliminary numbers. These were obtained by using a very aggressive
> > 12X bonus for estimated speedup of 15% or more.
> >

> > * Clang (run with -O2 on a large preprocessed file): 1% performance
> > improvement and a 4.6% text size increase.
> > * Google benchmark suite (geomean of ~20 benchmarks): 5.5%
> > performance improvement and a 7.7% text size increase
> >
> > * Spec (all C and C++ benchmarks): 0.6% speedup and 2% text size
> > increase
> >
> > * Chrome: Performance neutral, 3.8% text size increase
>
> What was the compile-time effect?
>
> Good question :) I just measured  a build of clang with this change ('time
ninja -J1 clang'). This increases *build* time by 13% which is certainly an
issue that needs to be addressed. Assuming time spent on non-compile
actions does not change, the actual compile time increase is likely a bit
more than 13%.

A few points regarding this:

* Independent of this change, we could cache the results of the inline cost
computation. One simple approach is to cache when none of the parameters at
the callsite evaluates to a constant. The effect of such savings is likely
to be more with this change.
* The 12X threshold bonus needs to be tuned. I chose this factor to enable
one beneficial inline in an internal benchmark I used.
* I want to re-emphasize this is a quick prototype and I am sure there are
many inefficiencies in this prototype.
* There may be opportunities to further prune the set of callsites where
this heuristic is applied.

> > The I propose to implement this change guarded by a flag. This flag
> > could be turned on in O2 with profile guided optimization. If size
> > increase under -O3 is not a huge concern, this could be turned on in
> > -O3 even without PGO.
> >

> For my users, such an increase would be generally acceptable, however,
> others might have a different opinion. I'd certainly support a -O4 level
> with more-aggressive inlining in that case.
>
> I would like to hear from other users of -O3 what is an acceptable
performance/code size tradeoff for them. I measured the effects of -O3 on
our internal benchmark suite. The geomean performance improved (compared to
-O2, both without this proposed change) by 0.6% at a cost of 4.5% size
increase. If this is representative of what other see, I would argue that
it is reasonalbe to enable this proposal at  O3.

- Easwaran

 -Hal