[LLVMdev] RFC: what is the purpose of test/CodeGen/Generic?

Mehdi Amini mehdi.amini at apple.com
Mon Aug 3 12:22:09 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I wonder about this directory and the 162 tests that are in it.

Most tests have only this run line: ; RUN: llc < %s

And when I look at the log of some tests like: test/CodeGen/Generic/2002-04-14-UnexpectedUnsignedType.ll
The comment inside is:

; This caused the backend to assert out with:
; SparcInstrInfo.cpp:103: failed assertion `0 && "Unexpected unsigned type”’

I doubt we are effectively testing the Sparc backend unless you run the validation on a Sparc.

Since “CodeGen” can’t really be generic (you’ll need a target), I’m not sure what is intended to be in it. I’d like to move most of the tests in their associated backend directory, but I’d like to hear what is legit to be here?

Thanks,

Mehdi