[LLVMdev] seeking a mailing list for llvm ports

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Mon Apr 27 14:19:13 PDT 2015

Hi Peter,

While I’m not familiar with the OR1K port specifics, since it’s an out of tree port, you’re in the general right place for LLVM related questions, including about the assembler infrastructure.

You are correct that the .td files contain most of the information for instructions. All of it for simple instructions, really. Those files are used to create .inc files for asm matchers (it’s a bunch of data tables, and a few helper functions) via the tblgen utility.

The main assembler functionality is in the lib/MC library of llvm, with target specific bits in lib/Target/<targetname>/AsmParser. You can start by perusing that code a bit and stepping through the instruction matching. The llvm-mc utility is handy for this, as it’s a developer tool that provides a no-frills front end to the assembler and disassembler engines.

-Jim