[LLVMdev] unwind's permanent residence

Jonathan Roelofs jonathan at codesourcery.com
Wed Apr 22 10:00:22 PDT 2015

On 4/22/15 10:04 AM, Reid Kleckner wrote:
> Really dumb question. Why do we need libcxxabi at all?
> Can we move it all into compiler-rt and have less repos?

Oh no, not this monster thread... again. :(

By the same rhetoric, why have separate repositories for Clang and LLVM?

Separation of libraries by repository is *good* for keeping out layering
violations. It's hard enough to keep ourselves "honest" w.r.t. that
as-is (hence moving the unwinder out of libcxxabi).

> I don't see what's all that different between the sanitizer run times
> and the bits of c++ rt in libcxxabi.

The fundamental difference is that the sanitizer runtimes don't fully
implement the Itanium ABI, whereas libcxxabi does... they're only shims
for a few "interesting" functions in that library. Also, can't the
sanitizers be used with libcxxrt too?

As a sidenote, IMHO the sanitizers should be in their own repository
too, not bundled with compiler_rt... but that's a whole other monster of
a discussion.

Cheers,

Jon