[LLVMdev] Machine Level IR text-based serialization

Alex L arphaman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:12:40 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm Alex, and last summer I was working on the code coverage support
for pgo for LLVM and clang at Apple.

I'm currently interning at Apple again, and I'm planning to work on a
project that was suggested to me by Bob Wilson.

I plan on developing a text-based, human readable format that allows LLVM to

serialize the machine level IR (The data structures like
MachineFunction, etc. from CodeGen).

The motivation for this project is that it will enable easier testing
of the CodeGen passes,

and will allow developers to run tests that invoke just a single CodeGen pass,

or that start from a specific pass (llc's -start-after option).

I would be interested in hearing from other people who might be
working on a similar

project or have ideas in which direction this project should go. I
will be posting

an initial proposal for the format in a couple of days.

Thanks,

Alex