[LLVMdev] Looking for advice on how to debug a problem with C++ style exception handling code that my compiler generates.

Christian Schafmeister chris.schaf at verizon.net
Sat Apr 11 17:49:36 PDT 2015

Logan,

There may be some confusion here because I wasn’t completely clear about what was calling what and where “invoke” appeared to be necessary when I JIT the code and where I realize that “invoke” is absolutely necessary.    As far as I understand the Itanium ABI I only need an “invoke” in function A when function B is invoked - the rest of the calls to C() and D() should be able to use “call".

Here’s an example in C++ (for illustration) and then the identical example in Common Lisp.

In Common Lisp I can compile individual expressions in the REPL.
Here is a more illustrative example.   If I compile all of these functions ahead of time - everything works fine and D() and C() are called using LLVM “call”.
But if I JIT these functions one at a time it will fail.  If I use llvm “invoke” to JIT the function C() - then the thrown exception will make it to A() and everything works.

// In C++
//
void D() {
    throw MyException();
};

void C() {
    D();    // This should be able to be called with “call”
		// - but if I JIT this function it won’t work - I need “invoke” and a dummy landing pad
};

void B() {
    C();    // This can be called with "call"
};

void A() {
    try {
        B();     // <<--- This needs to be called with "invoke"
    } catch ( MyException& e) {
	/* Do something */
    };
};

In Common Lisp:

(defun d ()
 (throw 'Exception nil))

(defun c ()
  (d))    ; <-- This can be called with llvm “call” but if I JIT this function it will fail!  I need to use “invoke”!

(defun b ()
  (c))    ; <-- This can be called with llvm "call"

(defun a ()
  (catch 'exception
    (b)))   ; <-- This needs to called with llvm “invoke"