[LLVMdev] Looking for advice on how to debug a problem with C++ style exception handling code that my compiler generates.

Christian Schafmeister chris.schaf at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 16:43:43 PDT 2015

Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much.  A command like “info catch” would be very handy right now.

I put a breakpoint on RuntimeDyld::registerEHFrames and on entry the registers read as shown below.  It doesn’t matter if I compile the example with the old compiler (that generates code that works) or the new compiler (that generates code that terminates when the exception is thrown)   “rdx” == 0x0 in both cases.  So I don’t think that is the source of the problem.

I’m narrowing down on the problem by hacking my compiler to load a module from a bitcode file rather than generate a new module and systematically changing the new generated code into the old generated code.

On entry to RuntimeDyld::registerEHFrames
       rax = 0x00007f8518441c70
       rbx = 0x00007f8518441ba0
       rcx = 0x00007f8519923600
       rdx = 0x0000000000000000   <<<< argument 3  Size
       rdi = 0x00007f8518441bd8   <<<< argument 1  Addr
       rsi = 0xffffffffffffffff   <<<< argument 2  LoadAddr
       rbp = 0x00007fff5625e390
       rsp = 0x00007fff5625e2a8
        r8 = 0x00000000000003ff
        r9 = 0x00007f8519921600
       r10 = 0x00000001139d8000
       r11 = 0x0000000000000000
       r12 = 0x00007fff5625e2e0
       r13 = 0x00007f8518441bd8
       r14 = 0x00007f8518441c50
       r15 = 0x00007f8518441b10
       rip = 0x000000010b1c1bb0  clasp_boehm_o`llvm::RuntimeDyld::registerEHFrames()
    rflags = 0x0000000000000257
        cs = 0x000000000000002b
        fs = 0x0000000000000000
        gs = 0x0000000017da0000

void llvm::RTDyldMemoryManager::registerEHFrames	(	uint8_t * 	Addr,
uint64_t 	LoadAddr,
size_t 	Size
)		[override, virtual]