[LLVMdev] PDB support in LLVM

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Apr 6 16:16:02 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:46 PM Rohan Bajaj <rohanbajaj84 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is making PDB files for corresponding IR supported in LLVM latest version?

Not today.

> After some searching I see llvm-pdbdump, but I want to annotate the IR
> with debug information so that when I write bitcode it has pdb information.
>
> I've heard of CodeView, but it seems to be only for line information. I
> want variable values also.
>
> I would be ok to use DWARF if Visual Studio could understand it using LLDB
> but I don't know how to do that or if it is support.

Zach (CC-ed) and others are actively working on making LLDB work well on
Windows, including reading DWARF debug information on Windows and
potentially integration with Visual Studio (although I think that is
further away at the moment). However, further discussion might be better on
the LLDB mailing lists.

> I would also be ok to write DWARF and then convert to PDB if such is
> possible.
>
> How can I achieve this?

Personally, I suspect the best way to do this is to write DWARF and get
LLDB into your workflow (either directly with the command line or in the
IDE). That at least is the path others are currently pursuing.