[LLVMdev] New backend for the y86 educational instruction set

Leandro T. C. Melo ltcmelo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 12:30:13 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I have recently started working on a new LLVM backend for the educational
y86 architecture (inspired by, but not a strict subset of x86), which is
introduced in the book Computer Systems (http://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/).

The authors of the book (which I have no affiliation to) have done an
amazing work not only in the presentation of y86, but also providing
processor implementation specifications and associated tooling like
assemblers and simulators.

During my first look into LLVM a few weeks ago I got really impressed by
its overall design and extensibility. It seemed therefore like the perfect
framework for creating a compiler and contributing to the y86 ecosystem.

Although the y86 has no "official" hardware (yet?), it's a good research
and experimentation platform (using FPGAs for instance). The
implementation, still incomplete but with most fundamental pieces in place,
is at https://github.com/ltcmelo/llvm. If anyone would like to
contribute...

Cheers,
Leandro