[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Commit message policy?

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Thu Sep 25 08:52:40 PDT 2014

That seems mostly reasonable. I'd try to make it more concise, though. The
coding standards and developer policy docs should be short.

+Commit message
+--------------
+
+Although we don't enforce the format of commit messages, there are general
+guidelines that will help review, search in logs, email formatting and so
on.
+Mostly, the rules that apply are similar to other git repositories, such
as:

Maybe just: "Commit messages should be formatted according to the following
general guidelines:"

+* Separate the commit message into title and body.
+
+* The title should not have more than 80 columns, although 60/70 would be
+  better, since that'd fit better into a `git log` or an email subject.
+
+* The body, if it exists, should be separated from the title by an empty
line.
+
+* The body should be aligned to 80 columns and have as many paragraphs as
+  necessary, but not more than that. Meaning you should be concise, but
+  explanatory, including a complete reasoning, but leaving examples, code
+  snippets and gory details to bug comments, web review or the mailing
list.

I don't think the suggestion to be concise is worth putting in the
document. More information is usually better.

+* `Attribution of Changes`_ should be in a separate line, after the end of
+  the body, as simple as "Patch by John Doe.".
+
+* Text formatting and spelling should follow the same rules as
documentation
+  and in-code comments, ex. capitalization, full stop, etc.

This point seems borderline, but I guess some people need it.

+While these rules match most of the cases, we're aware that some cases are
not
+covered, and that's why we don't think reverting patches with "bad" commit
+messages is a reasonable thing to do. We can, however, remind people of
this
+section of the policy for future reference.

I don't think this paragraph is needed, or it could be shortened to say
that these are not hard and fast rules and developers should use their own
editorial judgement.