[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Commit message policy?

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Sep 24 16:19:48 PDT 2014

> On Sep 24, 2014, at 16:08, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
>
> On 25 September 2014 00:03, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I tend to follow something like that anyway so I think it's a good
>> idea, but if anything I'd prefer a longer title line than the body.
>> Particularly with the prefixes we tend to put in there, 50 chars is
>> hardly anything.
>
> I only mentioned 50-col because that's what Vim helps me do automatically. :)
>
> I'm fine with larger titles, but not larger than 70-col, which should
> be plenty, since we don't have complex branching in git. GMail can
> cope with up to 90 chars (+preamble) in the subject.

I try to wrap summaries at 80 columns by hand (so as to make reading logs in a shell easier) but even 70 columns is short with "[analyzer] " at the front. I'm okay with picking a length as a target; I just don't want us to start sending complaints to people whose first lines go over the limit.

(Now, people whose summary "line" is broken up into multiple lines, sure, because that affects e-mail and git (and SVN these days? not sure).

Jordan