[LLVMdev] noalias and alias.scope metadata notations

Whitney Tsang whitneyt at ca.ibm.com
Mon Sep 22 08:04:20 PDT 2014

Hi all,

In LLVM language reference I read that one can use noalias and alias.scope
metadata to provide more detailed information about pointer aliasing.
However, I am not clear about how the notations should be. Am I right that
all load instruction should have !alias.scope at the end and all store
instruction should have !noalias at the end? If yes, why? If I understand
it correctly, aliasing information should be static (i.e. one !alias.scope
and !noalias should be enough for each variable).

Thanks,
Whitney