[LLVMdev] Aggregate store/load optimization

deadal nix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 23:42:31 PDT 2014

Hi all,

One area where LLVM suck pretty badly is aggregate store and loads. clang
do not use them so there are not seen as important, and aren't handled
nicely. Other frontends work around the issue as it is not handled properly
and we ends up with some kind of chicken and egg issue.

I recently proposed a diff to be able to optimize load from aggregate
stores in GVN without great success. Interest was unclear to some and
alteration of GVN was a concern to many.

I'd like to improve the aggregate support. SROA is deaggregating from
alloca. Would the same approach for other loads./store be preferable ? That
would give a way to use the existing infrastructure while providing a good
support for aggregate.

If yes, what would be the right place and way to do this ?