[LLVMdev] [RFC] Exhaustive bitcode compatibility tests for IR features

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 12:44:25 PDT 2014

On 19 September 2014 14:33, Steven Wu <stevenwu at apple.com> wrote:
> Well, this essentially means when someone need to change assembly syntax in
> llvm-3.9, he has to go back and edit all the compatibility tests for 3.N?
> Sounds like a little bit extra work, though I am not totally against it.

No, the idea is that in test/Features/compatibility-3.6.ll we will have

; The file test/Features/Inputs/compatibility-3.6.bc was created by
passing this file to llvm-as-3.6.

and the test itself would just use llvm-dis and FileCheck, not llvm-as.

In other words, the file compatibilty-X.Y.ll contains text that can be
assembled by llvm-as from the X.Y release, not current trunk. We would
keep the text mostly for documentation and if someone ever wants to
verify that Inputs/compatibility-X.Y.bc is correct.

Cheers,
Rafael