[LLVMdev] noalias and alias.scope metadata producers

Samuel F Antao sfantao at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 19 08:42:59 PDT 2014

Hi all,

In LLVM language reference I read that one can use noalias and alias.scope
metadata to provide more detailed information about pointer aliasing.
However, I was unable to obtain any LLVM IR annotations using this metadata
from any LLVM optimization pass or Clang frontend (am I missing
something?).

If I understand it correctly, this information would complement the
type-based alias information and whatever mechanisms the alias analysis
passes in LLVM compute from the input program. I was wondering if the
coverage provided by these two components is already acceptable or if there
is work that can be done in LLVM IR clients like clang to provide more
information with proper noalias and alias.scope annotations.

Any comments?

Thanks!
Samuel