[LLVMdev] proposal to avoid zlib dependency.

Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian Johannes.Sebastian.Mueller-Roemer at igd.fraunhofer.de
Thu Sep 18 08:58:22 PDT 2014

Dylib/so/shared doesn't work on windows yet.
From: Filip Pizlo [fpizlo at apple.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:23 PM
To: Chandler Carruth
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] proposal to avoid zlib dependency.

Once LLVM is built and used as a dylib, we'd just mark the zlib symbols as hidden. :-)

I tend to think that bundling is ugly because it makes it harder for a distributor or integrator to pick the exact versions of all of the components in the system. I don't know if this was mentioned already, but maybe we can have a compromise where a configure option can be used to select between the system zlib and whatever LLVM bundles. The default can be system zlib with an automatic fallback of using the bundled zlib (or zlib equivelant).

-Filip