[LLVMdev] Can't build LLVM examples | unknown component name: jit

Iain Sandoe iain at codesourcery.com
Fri Sep 5 04:35:30 PDT 2014

On 5 Sep 2014, at 12:22, Charles Turner wrote:

> I have built LLVM & Clang according to the docs at
> http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
>
> When I cd BUILD_DIR/examples and type make the system responds,
>
> llvm-config: unknown component name: jit
> make[1]: Entering directory `/work/make_llvm/examples/BrainF'
> /work/llvm/Makefile.rules:1071: *** llvm-config --libs failed.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/work/make_llvm/examples/BrainF'
> make: *** [BrainF/.makeall] Error 2
>
> Seems like there's no JIT support, or llvm-config can't find it. But
> LLVM compiles with JIT support enabled by default according configure
> --help, and I see at least one JIT related library called
> libLLVMMCJIT.a in /work/my_llvm/lib.
>
> How do I build the LLVM examples? Apparently there has been a
> reorganisation of the JIT component in LLVM, and I'm told this example
> may have been left behind.

There was a short period where the jit had been removed, but the examples had not been updated.

I believe this should be fixed by:
r217031 - fixes for the llvm/examples.
r217032 - fixes for clang-interpreter.

if you are buuilding a later revision and still seeing problems, please let me know what platform and how you are configuring.

cheers
Iain