[LLVMdev] Experimental Evaluation of the Schedulers in LLVM 3.3

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Thu Sep 4 23:58:21 PDT 2014

On Aug 14, 2014, at 7:51 PM, Richard Bagley <rickbagley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am seeking advice.
>

> In your estimation, how difficult would it be to retrofit LLVM
>
> 3.2 with this body of improvements to instruction scheduling (and
>
> optionally, the loop vectorization as well).

By now you probably know the answer to this better than I do. But for the record:
MI scheduling infrastructure was largely in place by the 3.2 release. Since then there have been bug fixes, new heuristics, and more target hooks. Those improvements would probably be possible to back port if you’re really into that kind of thing.

I’m going to guess that loop vectorization would be harder to back port because much more work has been done in the past 3 releases. However, it is mostly a self-contained pass apart from the cost model, so might be possible, just a lot harder.

-Andy