[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Address sanitizer regression test failures for PPC64 targets

Alexey Samsonov vonosmas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:26:06 PDT 2014

+Bill Schmidt

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Samuel F Antao <sfantao at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been experiencing the failure of the address sanitizer regression
> tests for a PPC64 target (Power7 machine). My understanding is that most of
> the failures are related with the fact the stack is not being dumped.
>
> I tried to understand what might be wrong and started by looking into the
> null_deref.cc test as it hangs during the test run.  I observe that after
> the detection of the faulty memory access it receives a SEGV after entering
> ReportSIGSEGV() more precisely when it gets to the __intercept_strlen() and
> tries to access  flags()->replace_str. The caller of __intercept_strlen()
> is get_cie_encoding() from libgcc (version 4.8.2 in my system).
>
> As I am not familiar with the sanitizer implementation, I was wondering if
> this is an expected failure for PPC targets due to some incomplete
> implementation, an unexpected bug, or due to some misconfiguration in the
> Clang/LLVM build for PPC targets.
>
> Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Sanitizer used to work on PPC at some point, but currently it fails on most
of the tests from "check-asan" test suite on the PowerPC buildbot (
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/sanitizer-ppc64-linux1).
I can't really diagnose the issue from your description. flags() is just a
pointer to a global variable, so I don't see why access to flags()->replace_str
will segfault.

> Thanks in advance!
> Samuel

Alexey Samsonov