[LLVMdev] How to deal with wider Integer type?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Sep 4 01:48:37 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM, Ruiling Song <ruiling.song83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I find in pass ScalarReplAggregates it offers some configuration
> parameters to control the maximum width of wide integer, which is quite
> friendly.
> In SROA, i don't found that kind configuration parameters.

The configuration parameters in the old ScalarReplAggregates pass is
because it would create *insane* things like i4096s. =/ When I wrote SROA
to replace it, this was actually the motivating principle -- it doesn't
introduce new integer type sizes, it uses the sizes that are already being
loaded and stored.

> Can anybody familiar with 'Scalar' passes give some insights?

=] I'm quite familiar with the SROA ones. GVN I know less about. The code
you cite from GVN certainly looks fishy to me.