[LLVMdev] RFC: Timeline for deprecating the autoconf build system?

Pasi Parviainen pasi.parviainen at iki.fi
Fri Oct 31 17:26:08 PDT 2014

On 1.11.2014 0:08, Tom Stellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose deprecating the autoconf build system at some
> point in the future.  Maintaining two build systems is a hassle not
> only for this project, but also for other projects that use LLVM
> and have to deal with the slight differences in output between the two
> build systems.

Because of these differences between build systems, I decided to start
my personal project recently to bring up each build system to equal
grounds for a platform which I care (which is FreeBSD). Motivation for
this has been to have identical test results (and builds) from each
other, in the case autoconf build system is retired.

> It seems like most people are using CMake at this point, so my questions
> to the community are:
>
> - Is there any technical reason why the remaining autoconf users can't switch
>    to CMake?

At least better job could be done for canonicalization of architectures
within cmake configurations. For example at the moment some LLVM tests
does not run with cmake builds for x86_64 FreeBSD, since it identifies
itself as "amd64" for cmake, which cascades down to lit testing
infrastructure. That's an easy example what I have faced at least so far.

Pasi