[LLVMdev] MCJIT + Win64 SEH handling problem (missing unwinding info)

Aliaksei Zasenka listhex at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:51:59 PDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kaylor, Andrew <andrew.kaylor at intel.com>
Date: 2014-10-29 1:16 GMT+02:00
Subject: RE: [LLVMdev] MCJIT + Win64 SEH handling problem (missing
unwinding info)
To: Aliaksei Zasenka <listhex at gmail.com>

 It sounds like you understand the basic outline pretty well.

Probably the biggest pitfall that we encountered while implementing the
existing formats was in understanding the distinction between the address
that a section has within the object file (ObjAddress) and the address at
which it will be loaded (LoadAddress).  The data structures evolved during
the implementation to better handle this distinction, and we tried to
document it with comments as problems were fixed.  So hopefully that part
will be easier for you.

I believe that we also encountered some inconsistencies in the way that the
ObjectFile interface was implemented by ELFObjectFile and MachOObjectFile.
As you begin working with COFFObjectFile, if it appears that something is
implemented strangely, it may be that it is incorrect.  Feel free to ask
about problems like this before spending excessive effort trying to
understand an implementation that may be broken.

Eventually in order to have COFF support at the same level as ELF and MachO
support we’ll need it to handle multiple modules and out-of-process
execution, but I strongly suggest that you just focus on getting it working
with a single simple module that has no external dependencies as a first
step.  Linking and address remapping can be tricky, but you should be able
to get something working without those features being implemented.

The tests under llvm/test/ExecutionEngine use lli to exercise MCJIT, but
there are hooks in the mechanism somewhere that currently force these tests
to use ELF format on Windows.  There is one such hook in the
llvm/test/lit.cfg file.  There may be others.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Good luck!

-Andy