[LLVMdev] Adding masked vector load and store intrinsics

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Oct 28 10:21:46 PDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

I think that starting with the intrinsics, for now, will be the right path while we figure out exactly what the design space is and use cases are. For the moment if these are primarily generated by the loop vectorizer, it should not be a big problem. Obviously when adding new instructions, there are a lot of switch statements to update ;)

> There’s a big qualitative difference between fabs and these masked
> operations, mostly because of the degree of type overloading you
> intend to support. I am very concerned that the IR that will contain
> these constructs will be dramatically harder to read because of it.

I think this ties back to the other thread on intrinsics name mangling (and the lack of the need for it). I think that, at least, Elena, Philip and I agree that, generally speaking, we'd like to clean this up, but that we should do this as a separate change independent of this. The memcpy.whatever are not easy to read either ;) -- and I agree that this could make things worse in that regard.

 -Hal