[LLVMdev] Copy function pointer contents

Tim Northover t.p.northover at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 09:42:40 PDT 2014

> My first experiments shew that it works but I'd like to know it could have
> any side effects?

I'd be very worried about doing that. For an isolated function with no
external references, and referenced by nothing externally, you might
get away with it (make sure it's compiled PIC!). But outside those
bounds, all kinds of things could go wrong:

  + Global variables going away when the memory is freed
  + GOT & PLT entries going away when the memory is freed.
  + External functions calling freed memory or getting unequal
function pointers (at best).

> My goal is to delete a finalized module and just keep the copyed function
> (to decrease the memory use)

I *think* you should be able to just keep the output around and delete
the input Module & associated compile-time data. That's a large part
of what the various MemoryManagers are there to handle, I think.

Cheers.

Tim.