[LLVMdev] Optimization hints for "constant" loads

Sanjoy Das sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com
Tue Oct 21 00:29:38 PDT 2014

> I've never realy understood how the llvm.invariant intrinsics could be
> put into practice. There is the problem that "end" can occur anywhere
> as you suggested fixing with a flag.

I was under this impression too, but after re-reading the language
reference I'm not so sure -- it says about invariant.start: "This
intrinsic indicates that
until an llvm.invariant.end that uses the return value, the referenced
memory location is constant and unchanging.".  I think this implies
that if the result of an `llvm.invariant.start` doesn't escape, we can
safely conclude that there can be no matching `llvm.invariant.end`.

I'm still a little hazy on all of the use cases you want to support,
but one problem with llvm.safe_cast is, as you note, stores to the
pointer passed to safe_cast will not be forwarded to loads from the
pointer it returns.  I think this issue can be solved by modeling
`llvm.safe_cast` not as a transformation on a pointer, but as a check.
Specifically, I imagine a readonly intrinsic `llvm.assert_immutable`
that "asserts" that the pointer passed to it is immutable, and unwinds
if that fact isn't true (these are only imaginary semantics -- we know
the intrinsic will never actually unwind).  This means
`llvm.assert_immutable` can't be marked nounwind (otherwise it would
just get optimized away); but since it doesn't need to unwind to the
same frame, a CallInst is sufficient (an InvokeInst would've increased
the CFG's complexity).

So

  %p = unaliased address
  store 42, %p
  %a = llvm.safe_cast %p ; just made this up
  %val = load %a !invariant

becomes

  %p = unaliased address
  store 42, %p
  call void @llvm.assert_immutable(%p)
  %val = load %p !invariant

AFAICT, "load %p" can not, in general, be re-ordered to before the
call to @llvm.assert_immutable because we don't know what condition it
uses to decide if it should unwind.  There are cases where I think
such a re-ordering would be legal (an unused %val is one example,
another example is where the only use of %val is a comparison with
undef) but if I understand correctly, re-ordering a load with the call
to @llvm.assert_immutable can only be a performance loss -- it will
change dominance in a way that we'll "forget" that a load was
immutable.  And I think in most of the cases that are interesting to
optimize, the re-ordering will not be legal.

It is still legal to value forward the store though:

  %p = unaliased address
  store 42, %p
  call void @llvm.assert_immutable(%p)
  %val = 42

because *if* assert_immutable does not unwind, %val will see the
dominating store, because assert_immutable is readonly.

Again,

  %p1 = ...
  %p2 = llvm.safe_cast %p1
  %a = select i1 %is_immutable, %p1, %p2
  load %a !invariant

could become

  %p1 = ...
  if (not %is_immutable) {
    call llvm.assert_immutable(%p1)
  }
  load %p1

or, if we wish to reduce control flow, we could define
`llvm.assert_immutable` to be a no-op on null:

  %p1 = ...
  %a = select i1 %is_immutable, null, %p1,
  call llvm.assert_immutable(%a)
  load %p1 !invariant

`llvm.assert_immutable` does with control dependencies what
`llvm.safe_cast` does with data dependencies.

> llvm.invariant is inherently control dependent, which doesn't really
> allow the optimizer to hoist the invariant loads the way we want it
> to.

I'm curious about why you think so -- do you have examples that
demonstrate this?  And is this a flaw in how llvm implements llvm.invariant
or something fundamental about control dependencies?

-- Sanjoy