[LLVMdev] [lld][ELF] obj2yaml vs normalized input files (similar to macho)

Shankar Easwaran shankare at codeaurora.org
Mon Oct 20 14:40:50 PDT 2014

On 10/20/2014 4:28 PM, Michael Spencer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 5:25 AM, Shankar Easwaran
> <shankare at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After looking at the Normalized Readers in mach-o, I feel it would be nice
>> if the Gnu flavor to adopt this design what mach-o did in addition to using
>> obj2yaml.
>>
>> Its so much easier to test in the context of lld with normalized readers,
>> IMO.
>>
>> Opinions ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Shankar Easwaran
>>
>> --
>> Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by
>> the Linux Foundation

> There's a non-trivial private memory overhead with this approach. I
> also don't see how it would make testing lld any easier. I would
> rather we embed yaml2obj/obj2yaml into lld.
You could just embed yaml in tests similar to what mach-o does and
create in memory objects, this would make it much simpler right ?

yaml2obj/obj2yaml would need to be made as a library then if I
understand you correctly, no ?

Shankar Easwaran

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by the Linux Foundation