[LLVMdev] whole program optimization examples?

Filip Pizlo fpizlo at apple.com
Mon Oct 13 18:17:41 PDT 2014

> On Oct 13, 2014, at 4:07 PM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/13/2014 03:23 PM, Kevin Modzelewski wrote:
>> With the patchpoint infrastructure, shouldn't it now be relatively straightforward to do an accurate-but-non-relocatable scan of the stack, by attaching all the GC roots as stackmap arguments to patchpoints?  This is something we're currently working on for Pyston (ie we don't have it working yet), but I think we might get it "for free" once we finish the work on frame introspection.
> Take a look at the statepoint intrinsics up for review.  These are essentially exactly that, with two extensions:
> - A semantic distinction between gc roots and deopt state (since you may want both)
> - Support for explicit relocation of the gc root values (this could be made optional, but is currently not)
>
> Though, you really don't want to emit these in your frontend.  You can, it'll work, but the performance will suffer.  Doing so will prevent many useful optimizations from running.

You really should be specific here. The optimizations you're thinking of may be uninteresting to many clients.

Also you won't lose any performance if your GC pointers are also needed for deopt (which happens to be the common case).

I really do think that this whole discussion is tragicomic. Most clients of LLVM would be best served with mostly copying GC.

-Filip