[LLVMdev] [RFC] Less memory and greater maintainability for debug info IR

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:47:00 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> I think making debug info more of a first-class IR citizen is probably the
> way to go. Right now debug info is completely unreadable and is downright
> opposed to the design goals of the IR as I understand them.

I'm still not sure this would produce particularly more legible, let alone
writeable, debug info IR. It's possible, certainly, if the schema was baked
into IR reading and writing, that we could pretty print it with annotated
field names and allow writing the debug info with omitted fields (because
the parser would know that this was, say, a subprogram record, and be able
to reorder fields to the required schema or add default values for omitted
fields), but I'm not sure we'd get that far nor whether it would really tip
debug info to the point of writeability - it's still necessarily a format
that describes code, which tends towards being more ungainly than the code
itself. ("this thing is on line 42" rather than "thing" written on line 42)

I'd have to see examples & promises of where this would go/what value it
would add, but I'd still be fairly concerned about the ongoing costs.

> Our backwards compatibility policy should give you the flexibility you
> need to update the debug info representation as you go along:
> http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#id18

It's a rather heavy burden to carry. Currently we have a much lighter cost
to changing the debug info schema (rev the version number - any debug info
with an older version number is dropped on sight).