[LLVMdev] Proposal: bindings for the Go programming language

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Oct 10 14:32:41 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose that we add an official set of Go bindings to the LLVM
> project. These bindings are based on the existing "gollvm" project [1].
> (Note
> that all contributors to the gollvm project have agreed to relicense their
> changes under the LLVM license and submit them to the LLVM project.) The
> bindings would live in the LLVM tree under the bindings/go directory.
>
> One thing that I'd like to see come out of this is the contribution of an
> official Go frontend to the project, based on the existing llgo project [2]
> which uses these bindings.
>
> I am also submitting a patch with the initial version of the code to
> llvm-commits.

Peter, I'm not hearing any really serious concerns about the overall
strategy here (provided that we've gotten a good resolution on the issue
raised by Andrew Wilkins, but it sounds like that's OK).

I'm going to look at reviewing the patches, and I think if no one shouts
about a problem, you should move forward with landing this next week
(provided the patch review is done, maybe the review takes longer).

I just want to say I'm really excited about this and thanks for doing the
leg-work on getting things together.