[LLVMdev] PSA: Perfectly forwarding thunks can now be expressed in LLVM IR with musttail and varargs

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed Oct 8 10:19:47 PDT 2014

+David, Doug, Tim

I've implemented this forwarding for x86 / x86_64.

The one target I know about where varargs are passed differently from
normal arguments is aarch64-apple-ios/macosx. After thinking a bit more, I
think this forwarding thunk representation works fine even on that target.
Typically a forwarding thunk is called indirectly, or at least through a
bitcast, so the LLVM IR call site would look like:

define i32 @forwarding_thunk_caller() {
  %r = call i32 (%struct.Foo*, i64, i8)* bitcast (void (i8*, ...)*
@adjustor_thunk to i32 (%struct.Foo*, i64, i8)*) (%struct.Foo* null, i64
42, i8 13)
  ret i32 %r
}

The thunk will have a varargs prototype, but it will also arrange to
forward the unconsumed register parameters through to the musttail call
site. I haven't implemented this yet for non-x86 architectures, but I plan
to soon.

Does anyone object to this representation?