[LLVMdev] Debug Info and DFSan

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 10:04:30 PDT 2014

Hi Peter,

After discovering several bugs in ArgumentPromotion and
DeadArgumentElimination where llvm::Functions were replaced with similar
functions (with the same name) to transform their type in some way, I
started looking at all calls to llvm::Function::takeName to see if there
were any other debug info quality bugs in similar callers.

One such caller is the DataFlowSanitizer, and I don't see any debug info
tests for this so I'm wondering what /should/ happen here.

Is DFSan+DebugInfo something that matters? I assume so.

It looks like DFSan is creating wrappers (in/around
DataFlowSanitizer.cpp:680-700) - when it does this, should it update the
debug info for these functions? Or are these internal instrumentation
functions & nothing to do with the code the user wrote? I can't quite tell
from the code.

Could you provide any C/C++ source examples whis part of DFSan fires
reliably, so I could experiment with some examples and see how the debug
info looks?

Thanks,
- David