[LLVMdev] lld coding style

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Oct 6 14:58:20 PDT 2014

On Oct 5, 2014, at 9:37 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:

> On 5 October 2014 07:19, Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org> wrote:
>> So with that in mind, I would like to ask, would it be possible to consider
>> switching to LLVM style for lld?
>
> We don't usually enforce code styles on side projects because it
> doesn't make sense to do so. There are too many conflicts between
> developers, external source code, style-oriented commits that break
> the time-line of the project, that it's just not worth worrying about
> it. Not to mention that style is fashion, some like it this way, some
> like it that way.

The only case where this makes sense (that I’m aware of) is libc++, given that it is a very different (and highly constrained) domain.  I think that lld and lldb following different coding standards is a serious bug, which increases friction within the community.  I’d support progressively moving them to a style more similar to LLVM.

-Chris