[LLVMdev] Issue with incomplete type debug info in recent release_35

martin krastev blu.dark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 03:45:34 PDT 2014

Hello,

disclaimer/ Apologies if this is the wrong llvm/clang mailing list; please,
direct me to the right one if needed. /disclaimer

I've been experiencing issues with incomplete type info when debugging code
generated by clang 3.5.0 from the recent release_35 branch.

Generally, the problem manifests itself as the inability to examine any
std::string parameter to a function, in either gdb or lldb:

(lldb) p arg_string
(std::string) $4 = error: summary string parsing error

(gdb) p arg_string
$2 = (const std::string &) @0x7fffffffd948: <incomplete type>

This is observed on two separate amd64 machines under Ubuntu 12.04, with
both the nightly build packages from the llvm-toolchain-precise-3.5 repo (
http://llvm.org/apt/) and when built locally from svn branch release_35. It
bears noting that on the same machines an older, locally-built version of
pre-3.5.0 (trunk circa rev 198K) does not exhibit the problem.

Is that a known regression, or shall I try to file a ticket for it?

Regards,
Martin Krastev