[LLVMdev] Perf is dead again... :(

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 12:28:26 PST 2014

> I'm not sure what to do w.r.t. access to the machine, I think the best
> solution is to try and move LNT off of llvm.org to a machine we don't need
> to be as careful with.

Just a thought. Would it make sense to put LNT server into a Docker
[1] container so it's portable and then we can move it over to any
(Linux based) host we like easily and reliably?

I've been playing around with Docker lately (I really like it) so I'd
be happy to hack something together for you to try out. I don't have
much experience with LNT though and I don't know how to implement
database fault tolerance with. I presume we would just have a separate
container for the database but I'm not sure how the replication would
be done.

A possible home for these docker containers could be Google compute
engine [2]. Google do make use of LLVM so I wonder if they would be
willing to provide free cloud hosting services for the LLVM project.
There are of course many other cloud platforms providers (e.g. Amazon
EC2, Digital Ocean, Tutum...) but I'm not sure if they would be
willing to provide free compute resources (and support) for us.

I would hope (I don't know for sure) that these services would allow
multiple users to manage the containers so that we could have multiple
people able to manage them rather than having the single point of
failure like we do now.

But maybe this is too ambitious...

Thanks,
Dan.