[LLVMdev] [RFC] Embedding command line options in bitcode (PR21471)

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Wed Nov 19 19:00:43 PST 2014

> On Nov 19, 2014, at 6:51 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Bob Wilson <bob.wilson at apple.com <mailto:bob.wilson at apple.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 19, 2014, at 6:06 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com <mailto:chandlerc at google.com>> wrote:
>>
>> So I am deeply concerned about the direction this is taking. I'm trying to catch up on the thread, but I think Chris already highlighted my issue:

>> In discussions about the new cl::opt API I believe the general idea was that most of the options expressed using cl::opt are actually only relevant as debug options, so I think one big part of this work is really going to be identifying a subset of the current options which are actually relevant to expose in the IR.
>>
>> I think this is critical.
>>
>> The whole idea of cl::opt API is for *debugging* options. IE, not supported, expected variations on how passes behave. Those should always be controlled (at the LLVM API layer) through constructors and parameters, not through a side-layer.
>>
>> There are parts of LLVM currently abusing the cl::opt mechanism to control fundamental functionality, but we should *absolutely* not bake any part of that or support for that into the IR! We should go find and fix those places to use reasonable APIs. Once we have that, I am very supportive of getting a good system for transmitting these options in bitcode and such in order to better support LTO. However, I think that in essentially every case there are going to be two options:
>>
>> 1) Turn these options into function attributes because they can reasonably live as function attributes and different variations can co-exist within a module.
>
> I have heard several people express strong opinions that even when those options are represented as function attributes, we will want a mechanism to override those with llc command line options for experimentation and debugging. If so, they will still need to exist as cl::opt (or some other equivalent). Are you suggesting otherwise?
>
> Yes and no.
>
> You might have a debug override option using cl::opt (or whatever we replace it with).
>
> Or you might have an LLC option (which might be implemented with cl::opt but is categorically different from the debugging options in common LLVM libraries) that explicitly constructs passes with options, and the passes might skip the function attribute when given a specific override.
>
> Probably lots of other alternative ways of achieving this goal I haven't thought of really....
>
> My point is that regardless of what technique you use to override options, the things that can be serialized through the IR should *not* include debugging only 'cl::opt' options in the common LLVM libraries.

I think I agree (I’m one of those “several people” Bob mentioned) with this. Depends on which options you consider debugging only and what that implies for when/how they interact with the rest of the stuff. Maybe a specific example or two on each side of the divide to help make sure we’re all defining terms in a somewhat compatible way?