[LLVMdev] RFC: How to represent SEH (__try / __except) in LLVM IR

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Thu Nov 13 17:19:35 PST 2014

I don’t really have a good enough feeling for the landingpad syntax yet to comment on the most natural way to extend it yet, but creating a synthetic cleanup function to call from the personality function is what I was thinking.

With the current (trunk +/- a couple of weeks) clang, compiling for an “x86_64-pc-windows-msvc” target, I’m seeing a landingpad that looks like this:

lpad:                                             ; preds = %if.end, %if.then
  %2 = landingpad { i8*, i32 } personality i8* bitcast (i32 (...)* @__gxx_personality_v0 to i8*)
          cleanup
  %3 = extractvalue { i8*, i32 } %2, 0
  store i8* %3, i8** %exn.slot
  %4 = extractvalue { i8*, i32 } %2, 1
  store i32 %4, i32* %ehselector.slot
  call void @"\01??1Bob@@QEAA at XZ"(%class.Bob* %bob) #3  ; Calling the destructor for a class named “Bob”
  br label %eh.resume

Replacing __gxx_personality_v0 with the name of my custom personality function (which has the SEH signature) and scrubbing out the terminate and resume calls for the time being, I see my personality function being called twice -- first for the C++ exception (Exception code == 0xe06d7363) and once for the unwind.  So now I just need to figure out how to get a pointer to a cleanup function into the DispatcherContext->HandlerData, which must be where the extra stuff in the landingpad comes in, right?

Anyway, I think I’m making progress. :-)

-Andy