[LLVMdev] [RFC] New ToolsSupport library for stuff that only tools need

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Fri Nov 7 08:57:38 PST 2014

Here is my limited perspective on this topic:

1. I would like to see some of the code in LLVM's ADT and Support libraries
available for reuse in other projects. This also has some potential for
being useful to Clang -- one could imagine a world where Clang directly
linked the ADT & Support libraries, but used the compiler itself via a
clear dynamic-library vended API (which would be unrealistic to expect the
ADT & Support libraries would ever want to provide).

2. I agree with Chandler in that I don't see a good need to try hard to
factor out code from the Support library that can just be conditional
disabled or would be unused by normal .a link semantics. For example,
whether or not the regex or YAML code belongs in Support doesn't seem worth
worrying too much about, because they are very isolated, don't introduce
extra dependencies, and won't be linked by projects that don't use them.

3. I also see a good argument for having a ToolsSupport library, as a place
for all of the very-LLVM(the compiler) specific functionality that would
have no place in a shared Support library (for any number of reasons: lack
of generality, invasiveness, or because they add substantial other
dependencies).

 - Daniel